- Ph.D. Candidate in Philosophical Theology, Calvin Theological Seminary, Jan 2021.
– Comprehensive Examination Fields: Philosophical Theology: analytical theology, apologetics, religious epistemology and ontology; Moral Theology: human sexuality, natural law; work and vocation; Historical Theology: development of covenant theology, reformation/post-reformation; Systematic Theology: doctrine of God; doctrine of Christ, doctrine of humanity, theological prolegomena.
- Th.M. – Master of Theology, Calvin Theological Seminary, May 2017. Majored in Pastoral Care and Faith Formation.
- M.Div. – Master of Divinity, Western Theological Seminary, May 2015.
- B.A. – Bachelor of Arts, University of Costa Rica, Aug 2004. Majored in Spanish Studies.
- Spanish: Native Speaker
- English: Full Professional
- German: Reading Proficiency
- French: Reading Proficiency
- Biblical Hebrew: Research Working Knowledge
- Classical and Koine Greek: Research Working Knowledge
- Classical and Vulgar Latin: Research Working Knowledge
Research and Writing
- Visit the link for a list of published articles and essays.
- Dissertation Working Title: “On How Herman Bavinck Uses Kant’s Philosophy of Religion in His Reformed Dogmatics and Other Writings.” Anticipated submission in May 2023.
- Evangelical Philosophical Society
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- The Bavinck Society
Fellowships, Scholarships and Grants
- Doctoral Fellowship, Calvin Theological Seminary, 2017-2021
- Tuition Grant, The Latino Seminary Student Fund, Classis of Holland RCA, 2016-2021
- Howard Miller Scholarship (CPE Tuition Award), Pine Rest Christian Mental Services, 2016
- ThM Tuition Grant, Calvin Theological Seminary, 2015-2017
- Tuition Scholarship, Christ Memorial Reformed Church, 2013-2014
- Tuition Scholarship, Reformed Church in America Ethnic Scholarship, 2013
- Vernon & Carol Hoffman Scholarship for Racial Ethnic Minorities, Western Theological Seminary, 2012-2015
Teaching Experience (at graduate level)
- Instructor, Hispanic Ministry Certificate Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
– Study and Research Skills, J-Term 2018
- Teaching Assistant, Hispanic Ministry Certificate Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
– Christian Education for Young People (Prof. E. Tamez), Fall 2018
– Theology for Ministry (Prof. J. González), Fall 2018
– Interpreting and Preaching the Old Testament (Prof. A. Leder), Spring 2018.
– Worship and Preaching (Rev. J. Sierra and Prof. Y. Apolinaris), J-Term 2018.
– Interpreting and Preaching Ephesians (Prof. M. Avila), Fall 2017.
Please note that the Certificate in Hispanic Ministry was a 27-credit academic program sponsored by Calvin Theological Seminary and the DeVos Foundations during 2012-2021. The purpose of the program was to equip Spanish-speaking pastors and church leaders who were serving in ministry.
- Graduate Assistant to New Testament Professor Dr. M. Avila in the Residential and Distance Master of Divinity Program, Calvin Theological Seminary:
– Biblical Interpretation for Ministry, Online, J-Term 2018.
– The Kingdom of God, Its Meaning, and Significance, Online, Fall 2017.
– New Testament Narratives, In-Residence, Fall 2017.
– New Testament Narratives, Online, Fall 2017
– Biblical Interpretation for Ministry, In-Residence, Summer 2017.
Editorial and Translation Work
- Lead Editor, Stromata: The Graduate Journal of Calvin Theological Seminary, Sept 2016-Jun 2020.
- English-Spanish Translator, Calvin Institute of Christian Worship, Jan 2018. Translation of the book chapter: John Witvliet “The Former Prophets and the Practice of Christian Worship,” Worship Seeking Understanding (Grand Rapids: Baker Academics, 2003): 23-37.
- Editorial Assistant for Dr. K. Maag, Calvin Theological Journal, Sept-Dec 2016.
- Intern Chaplain, Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services, May 2016 – Aug 2016. In this full-time summer internship, I worked as chaplain in the mental health context, working especially with patients diagnosed with chronic mental illness and co-current disorders.
- Community Engagement Intern, Christ Memorial Reformed Church, Aug 2013 – Sept 2014. Besides giving administrative support to the Community Engagement team, this internship let me promote and support programs and events with a comprehensive outreach vision to approach local missions such as the coordination a of volunteer opportunities, creation of programs to reach racial-diverse groups, etc.
- Pastoral Intern, 14th St. Christian Reformed Church, Oct 2012 – May 2013. Throughout the internship, I developed my skills about preaching, worship leading, and church administration.
- Ordained as Specialized Minister in the Reformed Church in America, Feb 2018.
- Granted a certificate for completing four hundred hours of supervised training at Pine Rest Christian Mental Services earning one unit (Level 1) of Clinical Pastoral Education. In this full-time Summer internship, I worked as chaplain in the mental health context, working especially with patients diagnosed with chronic mental illness and co-current disorders.
- Participated in the Conflict Resolution Workshop “Restorative Circles/Non Violent Communication” at Western Theological Seminary, 2013.
Abilities and Skills
- Cross-cultural living experiences
- Analytical-Relater leadership
- Organizational-oriented person
- Team worker with a collaborative spirit
- Committed to Christian education
- Hospitality toward theological diversity and other worldviews
- Ability to recognize and honor cultural diversity
- Biliterate in English and Spanish
- Ability to write formal articles, essays, and reports
- Experience with translation software (e.g. SDL Trados)